South Devon and Torbay’s Vanguard initiative includes South Devon and Torbay Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, Torbay Council, Devon Partnership Trust and Devon Doctors Ltd.
The Vanguard programme aims to deliver:
- Better support for self-care
- The right advice, in the right place, first time, via an NHS 111 central point that will see GPs, nurses, paramedics and mental health specialists working closer together than previously
- An effective alternative to people choosing to queue in A&E by providing highly responsive urgent care services
- Increased survival and recovery prospects for those with serious or life-threatening emergency care through treatment in centres with the right facilities and expertise
- All-age mental health support across urgent and emergency care
- A system which is more than the sum of its parts by connecting all urgent and emergency care services
The programme encapsulates five main workstreams: wellbeing and self-care, integrated NHS 111/out-of-hours GP services, urgent care centres, mental health and shared care records.
Initial successes include: the procurement of a new integrated 111 and out-of-hours contract; data evaluation of likely demand for an urgent care centre in Newton Abbot; and co-designing how we might provide people with the resources they need to improve their wellbeing and self-care.